Tuesday 19 March 2013

1GAM Month Three

March's game is being done in C++ and is proving to be very educational. The more I work on it, the more I learn and the more comfortable I'm becoming with the code and syntax. Saying that, my bf is helping me and has basically walked me through everything, giving hints and suggestions to try to encourage me to think up the code with minimal "cheating".

Today we finally got the game pretty much up and running. I say "pretty much" because some things aren't coded in completely yet and there are of course a few bugs to work out. It works enough to have enabled me to get a screen shot of the game though.

The game is called "Chest Work", which is a pun/word play on the phrase "Guess work" and is a very basic old-school roguelike which uses ASCII characters to represent people and items. In this instance, 'R' is the rogue character, 'C' is a locked chest, 'c' is an opened chest, 'T' represents an armed trap, and 't' is an unarmed trap.

As the game starts you find yourself in a room which contains 6 chests and 3 traps all randomly placed around the room. Some chests are trapped, some are just merely locked. All contain treasure. You have 3 lives. Traps which you fail to disarm take away one life. Fail to disarm the trapped chest however and it's an automatic game over.

As of today, all that's left to do is the coding for the traps and bug zapping. With a bit of luck and some hard work, it'll be done by the weekend!


2 comments:

  1. I would like to play it. Looks soooo classic. I'll do feedback to you. Or if you want I can do some code review for you if you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've posted the link to my code and the exe in my newest blog entry. Feel free to take a look at it.

      Delete