Sunday 24 March 2013

March's Game: Chest Work

This month's game is finished!

I decided to go along with the optional theme on the One Game website and made a very simple, very short roguelike.

The premise is as follows: You're a rogue and have found yourself in a room with no doors or windows. Said room contains six chests and three traps. Your goal is to unlock all of the chests without dying, collecting whatever treasure is found within.

Sounds simple, right? It is. There is one small thing though - there's a one out of six chance that any given chest will be trapped. If it is, and you fail to disarm it...well, let's just say I don't envy your fate.

This is a typical retro-style roguelike, so the 'graphics' are ASCII. That is, everything is represented by a standard symbol. The rogue is 'R'. Chests are 'C' and 'c', for unopened and opened chests respectively. Traps are represented by 'T' and 't' (armed and disarmed). Finally, the walls are marked by the '#' symbol. Movement is done using the 'W, A, S, D' keys ( W - up, A - left, D - right, S - down).

As I mentioned in my previous blog post, this is the first game that I've done in C++. As such, it's only available as an exe file and can only be played on Windows (as far as I know).

The exe can be downloaded here and if you would like to have a look at the cpp file, you can find it here.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

A huge thanks to any one who plays this game, gives feedback on the game and/or the code, and especially to 'Calalaera', who helped me with the code syntax and layout.

1 comment:

  1. Still playable with wine on linux. It's good.
    Do you want me to do a code review? I can ask Cal to do the same for you. So you will have 2 feedbacks full of issues to improve!

    ReplyDelete